Can someone from DL briefly describe what your tech stack is like?

Mvid

I am interested in learning what kind of servers, OS and programming languages Digital Leisure utilizes for Four Kings.  In the new office images you posted on twitter, there is one that shows a server rack in the back... is that just for your office or are the game servers there as well?

-----
Need a webmaster? See vidberg.com

DL_Rob

Administrator

Hi Mvid,

I can't go into a ton of details but I can answer some of your questions.

The servers you saw in the photos of our new office run the day to day operations of the company, email, employee logins, etc... No different then you would find in any company nowadays. Some of the servers are development servers for The Four Kings and our other games. It lets us test new features locally in the office before sending them to the live servers.

Our game servers are far more powerful then the servers in our office and they are hosted in a secure datacentre.

As for "servers, OS and programming languages "  a lot of specifics of this info is confidential but generally we use servers from Dell & HP running linux and we use a bunch of programming languages (C, C++, C#, etc...)

I hope that answers some of your questions smile

Mvid

Yup, thanks DL_Rob.  As I've setup and administered the server racks in a few small companies myself, it's always interesting to hear what the tech behind the scenes is.

-----
Need a webmaster? See vidberg.com

Lead_Flunky

Hey DL_Rob you sound like the tech guy. Could you see about increasing the allowable size of incoming emails to something fair like say 50MB so that customers have some chance of emailing ingame video bug and of glitches. We all want to see this game be at its best you guys the developers and us the consumers. And some of us users(though admittedly not many, I'm sure) don't use file sharing websites or upload video to Youtube, and also I don't use social networking sites either. I have some measure of concern when it come to privacy and those kind of web services. Thanks.

Carla Birch

Youtube lets you set videos to unlisted, this means that its not listed on youtube for anyone to see, you have to send the link to people who you wish to see it.

DL_Paul

Administrator

As Carla describes were happy to receive your video link from a private YouTube link, DropBox, OneDrive, Google Drive....there are many sources to upload freely to share content. Sending a 50mb email isn't a good one...sorry.

Lead_Flunky

Carla Birch wrote

Youtube lets you set videos to unlisted, this means that its not listed on youtube for anyone to see, you have to send the link to people who you wish to see it.

I was unaware of this, as I don't upload videos there or anywhere. Thanks. It still remains though that I would be giving information to a 3rd party(Youtube/Google) who isn't involved in my information transaction with Digital Leisure. I may not want Youtube/Google to know what games I play or even that I do play games at all. Also, I may not want them to collect whatever information they might glean from my act of uploading to their servers, and combine it with whatever information about me and my real world activities they may have collected from my possible use of their other services.

DL_Paul

Administrator

If you are that concerned about how the data will be used when uploading your video to a file share service you are free to mail us a DVD or USB stick with the video included.

Lead_Flunky

DL_Paul wrote

If you are that concerned about how the data will be used when uploading your video to a file share service you are free to mail us a DVD or USB stick with the video included.

Yeah Right!! You could also institute an email size exception for non-text based attachments such as .MOV .MP4 .AVI. While still leaving the filter low on emails with attachments like .PDF .TXT or any other file extension that might hide a malicious script. As far as I'm aware even the best hackers can not hide malicious scripts inside of video files.

Lead_Flunky

DL_Paul wrote

You just don't want to admit that you could improve customer service, in this aspect. And I think everyone can see that.

DL_Paul

Administrator

I have literally gone out of my way to provide you with about 10 different ways to allow you with a means of showing us your bug. I really don't know what else I can possibly do.

Carla Birch

I think he might need a hat like this:
qP5sGvh.jpg

I don't think YouTube are fussed about what games you play, it's not like you got to give them your real name and personal details, just an email address and make up a password, then upload your video unlisted and email DL the link to it, if you're really that worried ask DL to reply when they have watched it and you can remove it from youtube then.

So i don't see how they going to gain any useful information that is private to yourself from doing it.

As for email, it's not about malicious scripts when it comes to big files, it's more about the end user having to download then and the server having to deal with them, what's to stop some fool sending 100 emails at once all with big files, that's going totally mess up someone's day who needs to download them before they can get to real emails, never mind other server side factors.

Last edited by Carla Birch (29 Feb 2016 22:05)

Carla Birch

Wow lighten up, offensive attack? More like tongue in cheek joke.

Lead_Flunky

I could post offensive images also, but I will refrain. I'd Like the moderator to review that image for offensive attack due to the negative connotations it carries.

Just because this person Carla Birch thinks everyone should free give away information about themselves just for the sake of convenience doesn't mean that those who don't willy-nilly give their information away is crazy. Those people who do give away their privacy so easily are the ones who truly wear that hat. So, put it on Carla Birch, wear it with ignorant pride.

Carla Birch

It need's a bit of work, but you will get there with your jokes, i think if you lighten up the joke might come across better.

I just fail to see what information you are giving away about yourself, you have given just as much away just by having signed up here, or for signing up for PSN, so i fail to see the big problem with uploading a unlisted video to YouTube.

jexegug

I like how u say they Bad at customer service when I think they are the best company with a great customer service. A least they reply

DL_Paul

Administrator

As the thread has now been completely derailed from the original question, it'll now be closed. Thanks!