These DLC trophies are ridiculous. Here's why, and how to fix them

Stormageddons

So, this is quite a long message about my opinions on some of the DLC trophies on PS4. Some people might think I'm getting too frustrated over something like a trophy, and I can understand where you're coming from. Some people don't care at all about trophies, but I'm not one of them. I like to get trophies, and I don't mind working hard for them. However, in this game, some trophies are completely luck based, and I believe they need to be addressed.

First, a quick rant about "We Three Kings", a trophy which has seen its fair share of complaints. The trophy is 100% luck based, something which I personally believe a trophy should NEVER be. A trophy should be a show of your skill, not a show of how blessed you are by RNG. Even if you (you being Digital Leisure, just so you know for the rest of the post) were to keep it luck based, just changing it to ANY 3 in a row would still be difficult, but at least not quite as impossible as requiring a specific 3 in a row. I know that you've already said you intend for it to be rare, and won't be changing this, but I implore you to reconsider. Wanting a challenging trophy is fine, but I feel that reaching Global Tier 40 is quite enough of a grind for that to be your challenging trophy for the game; there's no need for "We Three Kings" to be as difficult as it is. Alternatively, increase the odds that we get the needed 3 symbols in a row. Any of these solutions keep it luck based, which doesn't really solve the problem itself, but at least it makes it not quite as impossible.

Now, let's talk about the DLC 2 trophies, because oh boy, they're annoying. Reading them and being unfamiliar with Blackjack, I thought they wouldn't be too hard: get 10 splits and 10 blackjacks in a single sitting. 10 isn't a large number, so shouldn't be too hard, right? After playing for a couple hours, I learned I was very wrong. These occurrences are SO RARE to happen, that this trophy is absolute hell to get if you don't love Blackjack like your first born child. The third trophy in the DLC pack, to split and win with both hands in Single Deck Blackjack, I can imagine also being quite annoying, but I was fortunate enough to get it after maybe an hour or so.

Now, see, here's the thing: wanting rare trophies in your game to show that those who have it have really worked for it is fine. I like being able to show off a trophy that I worked hard for. But the trophies that you're putting in your game are not something which you have to work hard for, they're something which you have to hope for hours on end to earn. I was playing Single Deck Blackjack for probably about an hour and a half, and I believe I only got blackjack around 3 times. I don't enjoy Blackjack, and at that rate, I'd have to play for around 7 hours, CONTINUOUSLY, to get that trophy. I also played regular Blackjack for maybe around half an hour and I don't think I got a single blackjack that entire game.

So, what do I propose? Well, some possible solutions could be to either remove the single sitting requirement, or reduce the number to, say, 5 or 3 blackjacks/splits, rather than 10. It's still luck based, but at least no where near as demanding as the current requirements. Another option could be to increase the chances of getting blackjack/splits, but then you're messing with the game itself, which you might not want to do. Of course, all of these still rely on luck, and leaving it luck based still doesn't change the fact that no skill is required; however, this would be a better solution than nothing. Ideally, though, remove the luck based element entirely. Put a trophy for reaching rank 10 in Blackjack or something. Whatever it is, just put the control in the players hands.

As someone with over 3400 trophies, I've done my fair share of working hard to get trophies, and I've seen, and earned, some pretty difficult ones. But Four Kings DLC trophies are absolutely ridiculous. There is no skill required, nor any combination of skill and luck. "We Three Kings", as well as all the DLC 2 trophies, are purely luck based. To leave them in their current state leaves them as no-skill trophies, with absolutely no meaning beyond "Look how much time I spent until the game was nice and gave me what I wanted!". They're completely out of the players control, and I find that very unfair.

steve99101

You are absolutely correct. I'm sure blackjack difficultly has been increased now where it's harder to get a blackjack let alone 10. When I used to play it they were common but I doubt it's like that now

Stormageddons

steve99101 wrote

You are absolutely correct. I'm sure blackjack difficultly has been increased now where it's harder to get a blackjack let alone 10. When I used to play it they were common but I doubt it's like that now

After playing for a couple hours straight, I can confirm it's rare as hell haha

Smokescreen_5

After 47 minutes, I was able to get the split hand wins on single deck table, as well as the 10 split hands in one sitting trophies but only had 6 blackjacks in a sitting. Still working on that one as I'm typing this. And of course the we three Kings trophy sucks trying to achieve. You're right, these are all luck based and have no skill to them at all. There's no challenge, it's all luck. Not even worthy to be called a trophy.

Smokescreen_5

Well, it took me an hour and a half to get the three new blackjack trophies. After an hour, I had 9 blackjacks, but then the dealer got 8 blackjacks in 12 hands.

Last edited by Smokescreen_5 (6 Dec 2016 22:26)

DL_Paul

Administrator

Please keep threads civil or the posts will be deleted and thread closed. I've cleaned this up....next time I'll just lock it.

As mentioned in the forum rules.....We will remove posts or threads which are found to be insulting, harassing, threatening or non-constructive and overly negative. We reserve the right to immediately delete any posting or suspend any user at our sole discretion.

You are free to comment and suggest, and we as developers will certainly listen. Any disrespect of other users or developers will result in your post being deleted and your account suspended. It's a very simple concept.

Stormageddons

DL_Paul wrote

Please keep threads civil or the posts will be deleted and thread closed. I've cleaned this up....next time I'll just lock it.

As mentioned in the forum rules.....We will remove posts or threads which are found to be insulting, harassing, threatening or non-constructive and overly negative. We reserve the right to immediately delete any posting or suspend any user at our sole discretion.

You are free to comment and suggest, and we as developers will certainly listen. Any disrespect of other users or developers will result in your post being deleted and your account suspended. It's a very simple concept.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate the clean up smile

Stormageddons

Smokescreen_5 wrote

Well, it took me an hour and a half to get the three new blackjack trophies. After an hour, I had 9 blackjacks, but then the dealer got 8 blackjacks in 12 hands.

I feel your pain haha. Sometimes you have what you think is an unbeatable hand, and then the dealer is just like "Gosh, sure would be a shame if I got blackjack..." haha. Everyone seems to be getting these blackjack trophies, I guess I was just really unlucky when I tried tongue

Smokescreen_5

Stormageddons wrote
Smokescreen_5 wrote

I feel your pain haha. Sometimes you have what you think is an unbeatable hand, and then the dealer is just like "Gosh, sure would be a shame if I got blackjack..." haha. Everyone seems to be getting these blackjack trophies, I guess I was just really unlucky when I tried tongue

I can't say one thing or another for anyone else, but sometimes you have to have a LOT of patience for these trophies.  If it was a tough skill to master such as when I was playing Uncharted 3, and we had to protect a statue in the middle of a courtyard and not let it get hit at all then it was a well earned trophy.  Unfortunately this is all based on luck.  Just like with the Lucky Fountain,, I've thrown in 2,000 coins before while others get the reward on their first throw.   Or like the Daily Tasks where it tells you to split 2 Aces.  I've sat at a table for 3 days straight (Approximately 24 hours worth) constantly playing to get that task done.  I'd have people joining and getting the Aces right away to split.  A good 20 to 30 people a day and I still couldn't get it.  Just the luck of the deck it seems. Or perhaps this game is RIGGED!!!   (stupid tin foil hat.. )  I'd say I was just lucky to get all 3 trophies finished within an hour and a half.

steve99101

Do you need to be VIP to get new trophies? I thought I read that somewhere. If so anyone got a guest pass they don't mind giving up smile I haven't played in awhile

Smokescreen_5

steve99101 wrote

Do you need to be VIP to get new trophies? I thought I read that somewhere. If so anyone got a guest pass they don't mind giving up smile I haven't played in awhile

No.  Just simply play blackjack for the 3 new trophies.  If you need a guest pass, find me in the game.  I'm currently by the Christmas Tree in the Lobby at 11:07 am CST

*Edit*  - Correction, 2 of the trophies can be earned at any blackjack table.  There is 1 trophy that states you have to split a hand and win both hands while playing at a Single Deck Blackjack table which is only available in VIP.

Last edited by Smokescreen_5 (13 Dec 2016 19:22)

steve99101

Smokescreen_5 wrote
steve99101 wrote

No.  Just simply play blackjack for the 3 new trophies.  If you need a guest pass, find me in the game.  I'm currently by the Christmas Tree in the Lobby at 11:07 am CST

Is single deck blackjack only in VIP? I can't remember. I'll add you smoke just to be safe

Smokescreen_5

steve99101 wrote
Smokescreen_5 wrote
steve99101 wrote

Is single deck blackjack only in VIP? I can't remember. I'll add you smoke just to be safe

Yes, its only available in VIP.  I forgot about the trophy that says you have to split hands and win them both in Single Deck Blackjack.  My apologies.

steve99101

Smokescreen_5 wrote
steve99101 wrote
Smokescreen_5 wrote

Yes, its only available in VIP.  I forgot about the trophy that says you have to split hands and win them both in Single Deck Blackjack.  My apologies.

Hey smoke I tried to add you on psn. You get it?

Smokescreen_5

no.  did you add my psn name?  or within the game?  I'm not currently in the game because I had an error disconnect.

steve99101

Smokescreen_5 wrote

no.  did you add my psn name?  or within the game?  I'm not currently in the game because I had an error disconnect.

I sent it through psn

Smokescreen_5

steve99101 wrote
Smokescreen_5 wrote

I sent it through psn

Then no, I haven't received anything.  What's your PSN ID?

steve99101

Smokescreen_5 wrote
steve99101 wrote
Smokescreen_5 wrote

I sent it through psn

I think you have them blocked in your settings. I sent it again. Do I have to be on same time as you? Does it last rest of the month or one session?

Smokescreen_5

steve99101 wrote
Smokescreen_5 wrote
steve99101 wrote

I sent it through psn

I think you have them blocked in your settings. I sent it again. Do I have to be on same time as you? Does it last rest of the month or one session?

Maybe, I recently deleted my account and readded it since another game was giving me problems with trophies.  Still can't figure it out.  I may have changed some of my settings.  Whats your screen name and I can add you.