What causes ghosts in Poker and why did they win?....

Lambert444

I've always wondered why sometimes a poker player will appear as a ghostly outline? It's seems they left yet didn't really. I've only encountered this in poker, never anywhere else in the game. Typically the ghost will disappear within a few hands but they never actually play.

Two nights ago I was playing poker when one of the players ghosted. It happened before the cards were dealt yet his ghost was still dealt two cards. He never played anything so I presumed he would automatically lose that hand. We all bet and after the river and our cards were turned, I ended up with two pairs- a Queen pair & four pair. Ghost had one pair of Kings and the game said he won and I lost that hand. I've never seen that happen before. The other two players all had one pair so I should have won with a two pair. It's like the game counted his hand and not mine, but it should have counted mine and not the ghost hand.

The ghost disappeared right after that and I ended up winning the game so I didn't say anything but it's been bugging me and I'm wondering if this will occur again?

Your thoughts are appreciated, thanks....

DL_David

Administrator

If you saved some video from that hand we could take a look.  A player's hand will still be played if they have disconnected (no active betting) until they return.

Lambert444

DL_David wrote

If you saved some video from that hand we could take a look.  A player's hand will still be played if they have disconnected (no active betting) until they return.

No I don't normally video as I play every night for quite a bit. So are you saying a person will ghost if they don't actually leave the table but stop bidding? I still don't get the whole ghost thing (what I'm calling it when the avi becomes an outline only).

DL_David

Administrator

The server will continue to play the hand (check and fold only) when I player loses connection.  During this time they are displayed as a ghost. When (if) they return the ghost will change back into their avatar and they can continue playing.

DL_Jared

Administrator

Yes, so most likely the table had not raised after the player's last bet before they disconnected. which allowed them to continue checking by default and remain in the hand despite being disconnected at the time (otherwise they would have folded).

Lambert444

Okay so now I'm getting it. A player will ghost if they lose their connection, not actually leave the table. Then they have an opportunity to get back into the same game, which is why the game will continue to check. Now I understand, thank you....